The statement of purpose is an application or essay written by student while applying for graduate or post graduate program in the foreign university. SOP is considered as the best way to express your goals and achievements and showcase your talent on papers to the admission officers and faculty members of your chosen subject.
Why universities ask for the SOP?
The SOP helps the faculty to determine the interest and exposure of the applicant so that they can examine the ability to pursue the program and completion successfully and whether they will be able to contribute successfully to the institute.Just like a good cover letter and resume can land you a good job, a clear and crisp SOP can help you to highlight your strength during the admission process. A good SOP attracts the admission committee who go through the thousands of applications from different countries of those students who look to study abroad.
Importance of SOP in the Admission Process
SOP is considered as one of the most critical components in your application as most of the rejections in the abroad admission applications happens because of incorrect information in SOP or some factual errors. The SOP portrays the most important impression of yourself while not being physically present there. It’s like going through an interview without any digital or physical mode and solving all the queries. Your SOP says a lot more about the way you write and present yourself, about your attitude, ambition and your clarity of thoughts and personality. An impressive SOP has the potential of providing the leverage of your low GPA.
What to include in SOP? An Ideal checklist for the SOP
- What you want to study/research?
- Why you are interested in the program?
- Why you choose this university?
- Why particular country? What are your liking about the country?
- What is the experience in the field you are applying in?
- Any special classes, courses and projects you have taken that are related to your field of interest?
- Any community service or leadership experience?
- Why you think you are eligible for this program?
- What contribution you can give to your peers?
- What are your understandings about the student community and college culture? How you will be fit in the environment?
- What are your career goals?
- How this program will help you in achieving the career goals?
- Any extracurricular activities or hobbies?
- What is the unique aspect that differs you from other students that admission officer should know?
If you are looking to study Masters in USA or Student Visa for Canada, your SOP should give the very specific details about the above mentioned points as they are very important in carrying out your application out of the crowd.